In collaboration with the Indiana State Fair
Join us on opening night of the Indiana State Fair to spin a tall tale or whopper.This is your chance to shine and wow the audience and judges. All ages are invited to tell, and no experience is necessary! Cash prizes and ribbons awarded in adult and youth (17 and under) categories: First Place ribbon and $100, Second Place ribbon and $50 and Third Place ribbon and $25. If you are too shy to take the stage, come cheer-on the competitors.
Here are the basic rules:
- The contest is open to Indiana residents only.
- The “lies” should be range in length from 3 – 5 minutes.
- Registration begins at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, August 4 in the Pioneer Village Pioneer Building. A.. contestants must register. The contest will begin at 7 p.m.
- Judging will be done by a panel of storytelling enthusiasts who will score each contestant in the following categories;
- Technique – delivery, confidence, general stagecraft
- Story Development – development of the story in time available
- Originality – new material, or fresh handling of a familiar tale
- Effectiveness – in the judges’ opinion, taking audience response into consideration
- The judges will score each of the four categories on a scale of 1 to 5 with a maximum of 20 points per competitor. Final scores will not be shared with the contestants.
- In the case of a tie, the judges will confer to break the tie.
- The decision of the judges will be final.
- All Tales will be recorded. The winners will be placed on the YouTube channel of Storytelling Arts of Indiana. Stories may be placed on the web site of Storytelling Arts of Indiana and the Indiana State Fair.